Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Offer new services to existing clients - Instructional media

I have been doing some volunteer transcribing for IntegralLife.com  a favorite organization that promotes the work of one of the world's great philosophical theorists. In appreciation, they offered to enroll me in one of their new courses. But, the opening words of the opening module caught my attention. I said to myself: "Self," I said, "You can make this sound better. Why don't you just have a go at it?" And so I did.

I prepared the following brief sample and offered to discuss their using my audio services as well. Time will tell... I'm already doing this work for random clients. I would really enjoy working with some of the finest people I know on some of the most important topics I have ever encountered. Note to self: People who already know you in one context have a hard time imagining you in an other. Be patient.


This picture simply shows a short phrase being repeated before and after processing. The low end of the spectrogram shows less low-end room "boominess" in the right side.  Also, look closely at the trailing edge of the peaks. On the right side, there is more-obvious fall-off as you hear less of the original sound lingering in the recording space.

It's fun to watch the processing finish and all the waveforms grow different shoulders as the display refreshes.

I also enjoy working in the iZotope RX editor to remove pauses in the X-axis (time) and unwanted sounds in the Y-axis (amplitude).

  • After selecting a horizontal area, pressing [Delete] simply closes-up the remaining content at zero crossing points.
  • If [Instant Process] is turned on, a new selection is automatically rendered with the desired function (such as replacing an unwanted noise with a signal based on a sample of background room noise). 
In both cases it's like it never even happened. I feel like Luke Skywalker shooting womp rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment